1 lb. fresh kale (turnip or beet greens), trimmed and coarsely chopped
3 cups (2”) diagonally cut parsnips (about 1 lb.)
3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.)
2 cups pearl onions (fresh or frozen)
1 cup dry red wine
14 oz. bone broth
4 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Plus fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
1. Sprinkle beef evenly with salt. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan, swirl to coat. Add beef, sauté 10 min, and turning to brown on all sides. (This step is optional; you can put the raw meat directly to the slow cooker).
2. Place kale greens in a slow cooker, top with parsnips, potatoes, and onions. Transfer beef to slow cooker.
3. Add wine and bone broth to skillet bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Pour wine-broth mixture into slow cooker.
4. Add thyme, garlic, bay leaves and parsley to the slow cooker (or place thyme, garlic, bay leaves and parsley on a double layer of cheesecloth, gather edges of cheesecloth together, secure with twine, add cheesecloth bundle to slow cooker).
5. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
6. Discard cheesecloth bundle (if used).
7. Remove roast from slow cooker, slice.
8. serve with vegetables and cooking liquid, garnish with fresh thyme.